Summer must not want to let go, because watermelons are still outnumbering pumpkins at the grocery store. We don’t mind waiting a bit longer for a pumpkin latte if that means we can enjoy more sweet, refreshing watermelon.
Did you know? Your typical grocery store watermelon weighs between 20 and 25 pounds and contains 14 to 18 pounds of edible fruit! Here are seven ways to use this delicious bounty:
- Make a watermelon sorbet. This recipe from Food.com is so easy, you’ll be enjoying this refreshing treat in less than an hour.
- Add it to salad. Chop the watermelon into bite-sized cubes and add it your favorite greens along with cucumber, feta and quinoa. Top with your favorite tangy dressing. This Honey-Lemon Dressing tastes great on everything.
- Puree and strain for a summery sipper. Make it your own by adding a squeeze of citrus juice and/or a splash of rum. Pro tip: Stir in a scoop of Regular Girl for an extra boost of fiber and probiotics.
- Enjoy it esquites-style. Turn your leftover watermelon in Mexican street food by topping it Cotija cheese, chili, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Yum!
- Flavor your water. Drop some chunks in a pitcher of water to infuse your H2O with a hint of flavor. Don’t forget to add Regular Girl to help you meet your daily fiber requirement.
- Grill it. The heat intensifies the melon’s sweetness while the smoke provides a savory twist. Enjoy it straight off the grill or add it to a summer salad. Here’s how to do it.
- Make dog treats. If you really can’t stomach another bite of watermelon, use your leftovers to make dog treats. Bonus: If you change your mind, these are good for humans, too.