You’re slapping on a pair of sassy yet sensible pumps while wondering if you can squeeze in breakfast without being late to work.
It’s 2:30 PM and you’re sitting at your desk, trying desperately to ignore your obnoxiously relentless sweet tooth.
Mid yoga class, your stomach lets out an impressive “grrrrr gurrggggle gurgle.” Translation: “Feed meeeee!”
When life hands you these moments (or should we say, everyday occurrences), it’s oh so convenient to have a quick snack nearby. Something that will keep you satisfied for the next few hours and that actually tastes good. Because we’re all about that flavor.
That’s why we love these Paleo Granola Bars. They’re filled with fiber, probiotics and protein to help keep you fuller for longer. Plus, natural sugars to appease cravings for sweet stuff. Here’s how to make them:
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups chopped nuts and seeds with 1 cup dried cranberries and 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut.
2. In a small saucepan, heat ¼ cup coconut oil, ½ cup sunflower seed butter, ½ cup organic honey, ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon sea salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook, stirring over medium-low heat until mixture begins to bubble.
3. Pour saucepan mixture over the ingredients in the mixing bowl. Stir until everything is mixed well.
4. Let mixture cool for a few minutes and add 4 scoops of Regular Girl. Stir until combined.
5. Pour the mixture into a 9X13 pan that’s lined with parchment paper. Use a spatula to pack the mixture firmly and evenly into the pan.
6. Chill in the freezer for one hour. Cut into 12 bars (1.6 grams of fiber and 2.6 billion probiotics per bar) and enjoy! Store bars in fridge.
To make them even more convenient when you’re crunched for time, place bars in baggies right after you cut them so they’re easy to toss in your yoga bag, purse and backpack before you hit the gym, leave for work, etc.
Your body will also thank you for filling it up with all of this good stuff:
Fiber & Probiotics
These two are the best of friends. They support each other and actually work better when they’re together. The fiber in Regular Girl nourishes the probiotics – also in Regular Girl – to help keep you regular and your gut blissfully balanced. That means you can say ba-bye to excess gas and bloating, and these other two gut-wrenching rivals: occasional constipation and diarrhea.
Protein is a busy body. It’s constantly working to repair cells in your body and make new ones. So it’s pretty crucial to get enough. These bars are jam-packed with good sources of protein, most of it coming from the chopped nuts and seeds mix that has almonds, raw pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and cashews. As you might have guessed, there’s some in the sunflower seed butter too.
Fats get a bad rap, but your body needs them to stay healthy. Among other things, they give your body energy and help your body absorb nutrients. The thing to think about is limiting bad fats (saturated and trans) and pumping up the good fats (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated). The sunflower seed butter, chopped nuts and seeds are all great sources of the good types of fat.
Organic honey, dried cranberries and cinnamon add sweetness to satisfy cravings without lots of added sugars.